Family Culture

This week I have been thinking a lot concerning cultures within the family and in what way that affect families and impact societies. Culture is the shared values and beliefs that a group of people practices throughout a lifetime, not every aspect of one culture is often correct. I was raised in Guatemala, and the culture there is really different from the culture here. Some things about the culture of my family I am really grateful for are the expressions of love that were shown to me since I was little. I will like to share one of the things we always do as a family to show love for each other.

Prayers have been part of the culture of my family since I was born. In my family we usually pray at least 5 times altogether, the first prayer we say together is for breakfast, the second one is when we get out of home, and the third one is for lunch if we have lunch together, we say the fourth prayer for dinner, and at times we say a prayer before going to bed. This habit has played an important role in my life, it has taught me that in everything I do I need to be helped by a higher strength. 

Just as my family has developed several things we do to preserve a culture of love in our family, there are many things we all can do to start the same good habits that can lead us to a better culture in our families. It all starts from the moment a couple is dating, often times when it comes to marriage a couple doesn’t know the culture of the spouse’s family, this happens because of the lack of times families meet with the future spouse. According to data collected concerning divorce culture, shock plays an important role to cause a lack comfortability within the marriage. Dating is the perfect opportunity for the couple to set plans for the type of culture they want within the family.

I have been thinking of the culture I would like to create within my family, I would like to share some of the things I would like in my family to happen: constant prayer, selfless service at home, expressing love verbally and physically, and communication to be important. I know these habits don’t show up automatically, that’s why both spouses need to work towards the goals they set, helping each other equally.

"The man and the woman contribute differently but equally to a oneness and a unity that can be achieved in no other way. The man completes and perfects the woman and the woman completes and perfects the man as they learn from and mutually strengthen and bless each other. “Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord" -Elder David A. Bednar from the talk "Marriage is essential to His plan" (June 2006) 

I really like this quote because it explains deeper what Paul explained about matrimonies, he referred to the fact that man like women help their spouses to fulfill each other, God has made us Men and Women in other for these words to be accomplished according to his divine plan. I need to highlight the words of Paul as well when he says neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the lord. Those last three words "In the lord" a marriage must always be centered in the Lord. I am not married, but I understand how hard it is to maintain a relationship with a companion, and even more challenging is to make that relationship keep progressing, I liked the quote I wrote because although is hard to move towards perfection, it is only possible through marriage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do I want my marriage to be like?

The responsibility of providing

Comunication